East High School offers a comprehensive education to all students through academic and extracurricular activities, enabling our students to become effective communicators, creative problem solvers, and empowered leaders.
Did you know that East:
* Offers the widest range of CONCURRENT CLASS offerings in the Salt Lake City School District. This is partly because our faculty is so exceptional. (An instructor in a
concurrent class is required to have a Master’s Degree in their discipline.) Students who take concurrent classes not only earn high school credits, but they receive college-level credit as well. One $50.00 fee makes each student eligible to take as many concurrent classes as he or she wishes. Many of our students graduate from East with a year or more of college credit!
* Offers 20 ADVANCED PLACEMENT courses. East continues to offer more AP classes and train more teachers in the strategies and practices that prepare students for
college level classes. Research shows that students who take one or more AP courses during their high school career are better prepared for college-level work. Our goal is to have every EHS student take AT LEAST one AP class before they graduate.
* Is the home of the HEALTH PROFESSIONS ACADEMY. Working in concert with the University of Utah, our students take challenging courses, RESEARCH WITH
COLLEGE PROFESSORS, and explore careers in the medical field. These students have the opportunity to earn their CNA by graduation.
* Provides superior services to students who are eligible for ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE. East has the highest ESL GRADUATION RATE in the state. These hard-working students add to the vibrant diversity of our student body; with over 42 home languages being spoken by our students, our entire community is enriched by the cosmopolitan atmosphere in our classrooms and hallways. Our Cultural Week Assembly is always a highlight of the year, showcasing our students’ talents and heritage.
* Offers WORLD LANGUAGE CLASSES in Mandarin Chinese as well as Spanish, French, and German – students who excel in these courses can take AP classes, Concurrent classes, and tests for college credit.
* Has comprehensive PERFORMING ARTS AND FINE ARTS course offerings that provide our students with hands-on learning and gives them the opportunity to polish and demonstrate their talents.
* Supports over 40 CLUBS AND 16 VARSITY TEAMS that provide a way to meet other students, compete in healthy activities, and provide service to the community. Clubs vary from Robotics to Glee.
* Offers a multitude of SAFETY NETS AND SUPPORT SYSTEMS including eXp, AVID, Gear-Up, Techniques for Tough Times, 9th Grade Success, PACE, TRIO, and
Upward-Bound classes, tutoring, and college/career guidance. We have well-trained professionals who offer a support system second to none - if a student wants to be
successful at East, we make it happen! We also have a full-time Upward-Bound intern and a part-time Scholarship Coordinator – last year alone our students received $11.5
MILLION IN SCHOLARSHIPS.
* Maintains strong relationships with Westminster College’s math department. In their unique “MATH PIPE-LINE” all upper level math students are required to provide free
tutoring, and so our students benefit from this affiliation by receiving help no matter what level of math they are working to master.
* Is always in the Top 5 of the Utah Schools who can boast of STERLING SCHOLARS, and that we produce a great crop of NATIONAL MERIT semi-finalists and finalists
* Has an IMPRESSIVE NUMBER of graduates who are accepted in every in-state college and university. East has graduates at Arizona State University, Averett University, Berkeley University, Pepperdine University, Boise State University, Boston University, Brown University, California State University Fullerton, California State University Long Beach, California State University Los Angeles, Chapman University, Coast Guard Academy, Duke University, Harvard University, Husson University, Julliard, Lewis and Clark College, New Mexico Military Institute, New York University, Northern Arizona University, Oregon State University, Ottawa University, Regis University, Seattle University, Stanford University, Temple University, Texas Tech University, University of Arizona, University of California Santa Barbara, University of Colorado Boulder, University of Dayton, University of Hawaii, University of Illinois, University of Oregon, University of Pennsylvania, University of Portland, University of San Diego, University of San Francisco, University of the Pacific, University of Washington, Washington State University, West Virginia University, Western Washington University, Wilmington University, University of California Irvine, University of California San Diego, University of California Davis, University of California Los Angeles, University of California San Francisco, University of Nevada Las Vegas, University of Washington, US Airforce Academy, US Naval Academy, Yale University, and countless others.